Friday, January 3, 2014

RIP Chuck Corson and Cicely Rigdon


I'm saddened with the news of the passing of two Disney greats, Chuck Corson and Cicely Rigdon. Both were instrumental in shaping the Disney Resorts as we know them today. Both began their Disney careers in the 1950s and both took Disneyland to new heights in their own fields. Chuck, who never minded me bombarding him with questions, right up to a few weeks ago, helped set the bar for Disneyland entertainment, from assembling the first Dapper Dans barbershop quartet to booking the first big name big bands to perform at the park. Cicely set the bar high in customer service and she was responsible for Disneyland's Guest Relations and eventually took over the Disneyland Ambassador program. I'm glad to have had the honor of interviewing each of them, and in the very near future, I will post their interviews so you may not only know their historic stories, but hear them as well. I will always remain grateful to both of them for their contributions to the place I love so dearly.


4 comments:

  1. Plastering your copyright over the faces is a complete dishonor to the memory of these people. Complete fail. Please take this down. If you care to repost get rid of your copyright. Apparently you believe your copyright across their faces is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I'm sorry you felt the need to bully me into taking down the copyrights, it would have been very kind if you simply asked me why I do it, rather than threaten me. I never used to put a watermark over my images until I started finding them on multiple websites, books and even newspapers. Can you imagine my surprise to open up a book I purchased - on more than one occasion - to find my own photo? I have had quotes from my personal interviews appear on other websites and even in Disney's employee newsletter. It is a crying shame that people are so willing to take other people's work without asking, because I am not in this for money, and I would have gladly given permission. The photos of Cicely and my friend Chuck Corson, are my own personal photos and without that watermark I do not know where they'd end up, but I'm sick of people feeling it is 100% okay to use my work without asking. I'm sorry you took offense, but it is very odd to me that if you were very offended, you would not reach out to me to ask me to remove it rather than bullying me, making demands and implying that I did not have respect for these people. When Chuck's wife told me this morning that he passed away, I was crying, and you cannot imagine the anger I had to read that you are implying that adding a watermark to these images is more important than the respect I have for these great people. If you know of a way that I can showcase the people I have such admiration for, without having people being able to use them for their own personal gain, I welcome your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck is my uncle, who cares about a watermark?

    Thank you Scott, for documenting this. My uncle was one of the greatest men I ever knew and I'm so blessed to be able to call him my uncle. and I'm so grateful to have your interviews to read and listen to.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started Mouse Clubhouse for the purpose of preserving the history of the amazing people I have had the privilege of meeting and I was hurt with that comment accusing me of not caring, so I particularly appreciate that you took the time to comment here. Your uncle was such a great guy, and Disney entertainment would not be what it is today were it not for him. In recent months I was editing his interview to post it, and I kept emailing him to ask him more questions. Where did the Dapper Dans bike come from - where exactly was the 20,000 Leagues stage at Disneyland, etc. He never minded, and reliably he'd respond so quickly. I loved getting his responses! You are so lucky to have had him as an uncle, I'm glad to have known him for the short time that I did. Thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete